How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4952
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

Why, on my tax statement which arrived on Saturday, is there

This answer was rated:

Why, on my tax statement which arrived on Saturday, is there an indication that I earned £5555.40 for employment when I have not been earning for some several years?
Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question. There are two possibilities here. Firstly that HMRC have got it wrong, but don't worry they sand out thousands of incorrect statements every year! Secondly you did have taxable income of this amount eg a taxable benefit and they have put it in the wrong place. What you should do is check that it is actually correct, but wrongly expressed. If so there is no problem. Secondly if the statement is incorrect the appeal which you do by simply writing a letter to the tax office concerned. Do not try to unscramble this by telephone, there is far too much chance of the official concerned getting hold of the wrong end of the stick if they can even find the stick at all. I do hope that I have been able to show you a way forward in this matter.
bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for your support.