How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4792
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

Sam, I am looking to start my own business with my partner

This answer was rated:

Hi Sam,
I am looking to start my own business with my partner and change from employed to self-employed. I currently already submit annual tax returns for property income. My question is, once I leave my job, do I need to register immediately with HMRC as self-employed and would the accounts for the new business be submitted as part of the Self Assessment or would the accounts be a separate matter (we would be looking to set up as a Partnership but not Ltd Company.
Hello Mary, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question. Normally when one starts self employment one notifies HMRC and they ensure that you receive an annual self assessment tax return form to complete at the end of each tax year. You should do the same to advise HMRC of the position, but you can include your trading in your normal annual return. There is no requirement under self assessment to submit any accounts to HMRC except in the unlikely event of an enquiry. However, as you are going to run self assessment as a partnership the position is slightly more complex. Not only will you have to make your own tax return, but the partnership will have to render one also. You can read all about the process here: The partnership and the individual partners will have to maintain their own separate accounts to support their position if necessary. I do hope that I have shown you the way forward in this matter.
bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Than you for your support.