How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15979
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

Good morning, I would like to know if there are any tax

This answer was rated:

Good morning,
I would like to know if there are any tax implications to a gift from my father.
He is born and resides in Germany and would like to gift £50,000 to me.
I live in the UK (have done for over 20 years) but hold a German passport.
Hi. The recipient of a gift does not pay tax on it in the UK. So long as the gift is made from assets held outside the UK, there will be no Inheritance Tax implications for your father. If an individual is non-UK domiciled, only their UK based assets and gifts made in the seven years before death from UK based assets are potentially liable to UK Inheritance Tax when they die. I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Many thanks.
So if his investments are based in the UK and he liquidates these to pass the money to me then that money would be subject to UK inheritance tax?Marianne
That may be the case but the liability would only arise when he dies within seven years of making the gift. After three years, the potential IHT charge tapers away as you can read here:
TonyTax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you