How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TaxRobin Your Own Question
TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 17198
Experience:  International tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TaxRobin is online now

Capital gains tax is "ZERO" residents living in

Customer Question

capital gains tax is "ZERO" for foreign residents living in Portugal in excess of 183 days annually? TRUE or FALSE
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 2 years ago.
HelloThe answer is False.If a person is present in Portugal for more than 183 days they are considered a tax resident.50% of the gains on immoveable property are taxed. If they sale their main home the gain is exempt from tax if they use the money to buy another home.
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 2 years ago.
If my answer addressed your question please rate below or above (let me know if you have difficulty as I believe the system changed).Rating lets Just Answer know you were assisted and credits me for my time.