How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Your Own Question, Chartered Certified Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 5141
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
Type Your Tax Question Here... is online now

I have a client who is a "Independent Social Fostering Assessor". whats

This answer was rated:

i have a client who is a "Independent Social Fostering Assessor".
whats the rules in relation to VAT.
Thank you for your question...Is your client self employed and his business is offering some form of consultancy?What is his income? Many thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

self- employed.

basically an independent social worker.

for local councils he goes around assessing the needs of the family and child to see if they are suitable for fostering.


Thank you for your reply.

Your client is a self employed independent social worker.
Provided the fee income is less than the threshold for VAT registration i.e £82,000, there is no need to worry about VAT.

Your client could be a self employed book-keeper or accountant and the same rules would apply. Your client is offering a professional service.

I hope this is helpful and answers your question.

If you have any other questions, please ask me before you rate my service – I’ll be happy to respond.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.

so this type of service wouldn's fall under any except or zero rated vat?


Thank you for your reply.

The service is a taxable supply and if your client was VAT registered it would be chargeable at standard rate.

Independent assessor is like an independent auditor/accountant and these services are VATable at standard rate.

I hope this is helpful. and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you