How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15976
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

Are you familiar on 'let-to-buy' schemes? My main question

Customer Question

Are you familiar on 'let-to-buy' schemes? My main question is whether they qualify for mortgage interest tax relief?
I have raised a mortgage on my existing house which I own outright and I will let out. The mortgage money will partially finance the pr0perty I am buying to live in.
What tax reliefs will I be able to qualify for ?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  TonyTax replied 2 years ago.
Hi. You will be able to claim a deduction for the interest you pay against the rental income. You are treated as if you have introduced capital into a business and so the interest you pay is allowable. See Example 2 here: You should be aware that there are plans to restrict the amount of tax relief given for mortgage interest on let property from 6 April 2017. You can read about that here: Look here for the types of expenses you can claim against rental income: I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.
Expert:  TonyTax replied 2 years ago.
I'm just following up. Did my answer help or do you still have questions?