How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15979
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

Myself and husband are British but have not lived in the UK

This answer was rated:

Myself and husband are British but have not lived in the UK for more than 5 years.
Do we have to pay tax on any savings(earned from overseas)which we put into UK banks?
Hi.Let me take a look at this and I'll get back to you.
Hi again.Whilst bank interest earned by non-UK residents from UK bank accounts is taxable, it will normally be covered by the personal allowance of the recipient and tax repayment claim would need to be made. As an alternative, you could apply to have the interest paid gross by competing a form R105 for each bank or building society that you deal with. You should be aware, however, that not all banks and building societies will accept these and will deduct tax from the interest. The R105 is here: hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.
TonyTax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The tax on the interest of savings in the bank - I understand.
What I don't know is: should I pay tax on ,for example, 30,000 pounds that I have transferred from overseas to Barclays bank UK?
I have read some stuff and I think I am not UK domiciled.
You won't have to pay tax on the £30,000 that you have invested in the UK. You are probably UK domiciled and, as such, your worldwide estaes will potentially be liable to Inheritance Tax when you die. Take a look here for information on domicile in section 5 here:
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you. You are correct, I am UK domiciled.