How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4953
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

I received a letter today saying they have reason to believe

This answer was rated:

I received a letter today saying they have reason to believe my ex still lives at my address. I need to send off my ultility bills bank statements and council tax bills. For proof I am now frantic as, as we had an amicable ish split the domestic bills are still in his name and he pays them instead of giving me maintenance I fear this will go against me. Please help some advice would be much appreciated. Ceri
Hello Ceri, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer and pleased to be able to help you with your question. Before I can answer your question I need to know who is querying your position. Once I have this information I can assist you further.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sorry it's concentrix on behalf of hmrc
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I'm sorry I've been very brief just getting myself in a do da. It's regarding my tax credits as I've been claiming as a lone parent . I work 30 hrs a week.
Right, the Tax Credit Office (TCO), not the brightest item in the HMRC band box, formed for political reasons in Preston which had no indigenous pool of clerical labour and has been a basket case ever since! Just block them by stating that your ex does not live at your address and that in lieu of maintenance he pays all domestic bills which remain in his name and suggest that they produce more adequate proof of the position. The TCO are notorious for making assumptions, invariably incorrect and always in favour of the Revenue.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
They state they need all this info by 8th Jan so can I just reiterate u do not have to send these details? Shall I call the number instead or maybe even just write to them? They state they will stop my tax credits if information isn't received.
I would never communicate with the TCO by telephone. There is far to much chance of the official with whom you deal getting hold of the wrong end of the stick if they can even find the stick at all. With written communication you have a hard copy of what has been discussed. The TCO is for ever stopping benefits on the most spurious of grounds and then having to reinstate them. Write and tell them of the position immediately.
bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you so much for your help. I may actually sleep tonight. Many thanks keith
Thank you for your support, delighted to have been of assistance.
Dealing with the TCO can be a nightmare as you have to keep plugging away at them until they finally get the point. Costs a fortune in second class stamps too! I know, I had a real battle with them many years ago.