How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4783
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

Client has shares in a company that runs a farm. he wants

This answer was rated:

Client has shares in a company that runs a farm.
he wants to transfer half his shares to his mum for a consideration of £50,000.
the actual worth is alot more.
Its worth say £500,000.
what my clients liability tax wise.
Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question. Benjamin Franklin once sagely observed that in life there are but two certainties, death and taxes. This is true here. Your client can escape tax on this transaction, which would normally be caught by Capital Gains Tax (CGT), by the use of roll over relief as this is agricultural land. However, on ultimate disposal, by his mother then CGT would kick in on any gain over the original market value as at the date of acquisition. The parties would be well advised to also have a valuation agreed at the time of transfer. I do hope that you find my reply of assistance.
bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for your support.