How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4768
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

I am in a trouble now. I am basically from india and had

This answer was rated:

Hi, I am in a trouble now.
I am basically from india and had come to work in uk in 2013-14 and left in jun 2014,
hence i wasn't able to file tax returns since i had no communication and no letters was recieved and they have sent a penalty of 1300GBP.
is there a way i can come out the penalty.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
PS :- I had not changed my address or anything, Hence i wasn't able to get the communication
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
(Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Hello Dandeep, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question. Firstly when you left did you complete a Form P85 and send it to HMRC? If you did not then you should do so immediately. Fortunately it is available on the web and can be flied on line. HMRC will then make you non resident for the tax year after your date of departure and furthermore split your leaving year into two portions, one resident and one non resident. Were you paid under PAYE arrangements during your stay in the UK? You are only required to self assess if you are in receipt of income which has not been taxed at source or if HMRC request a return. Thus if these apply to you than your should appeal the penalties which you do by means of a letter on the grounds that it has been improperly imposed. I do hope I have shown you a way forward.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks Keith,
I haven't filled P85 before i left.
What does UK paid PAYE arrangements mean?
Most workers in the UK have their income tax and national insurance contributions deducted by their employer under PAYE (Pay As You Earn), a system introduced in the early 1940s. Please be so kind as to rate me before you leave the Just Answer site.
bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Sure Keith. I will rate you.
Yes I was paid through PAYE.Now, To conclude -
First i should fill P85.
Second, I need to appeal the penalty giving the above details/Should i be specific while giving reason.At last i need to self access.Thanks,
In that case unless HMRC asked you to self assess they have no grounds for issuing a penalty for failure so to do. You should tell them that in your appeal. You should complete and submit a P85. You could self assess on line, but only do this if HMRC has asked you to self assess. I would be inclined to tell HMRC in your appeal letter that you were paid under PAYE so why should a self assessment be needed anyway. Thank you for your support.