How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TaxRobin Your Own Question
TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 17176
Experience:  International tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TaxRobin is online now

If I buy a electric adjustable bed am I exempt from paying

Customer Question

If I buy a electric adjustable bed am I exempt from paying vat I HAVE HAD ATROKE AND HEART ATTACK IN THE LAST 6 YEARS AND MY WALKING IS AFFECTED SLIGHTLY
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 2 years ago.
HelloAn adjustable bed will be eligible for relief only if it clearly stands out as being specialised for the use of invalids, as well as being adjustable, a qualifying bed will have other specific design features that distinguish it from an ordinary bed.For VAT purposes, you’re chronically sick or disabled if you have:a physical or mental impairment which has a long term and substantial adverse effect upon your ability to carry out everyday activitiesa condition which the medical profession treats as a chronic sickness (that’s a longterm health condition)For VAT purposes, the term 'chronically sick or disabled' doesn’t include a person who’s only temporarily disabled or incapacitated, for example with a bro***** *****mb or someone who’s elderly but isn’t chronically sick or disabled.“Chronic” is taken to mean lasting a long time and therefore excludes injuries of a temporary nature. “Disabled” is also taken to refer to a long term condition and includes mental disabilities. Relief under this provision is not restricted to those who are registered as disabled persons.If you satisfy all the conditions, then yes. You just need to complete the VAT Exemption Form and submit it with your order. don't need HMRC’s permission to declare that you’re disabled or chronically sick. If you're not sure whether your condition means you’re chronically sick or disabled you may wish to consult your doctor or other medical adviser.Generally you're eligible for the VAT relief if you have one of the following conditions:ArthritisBlindCardiovascular DiseaseDeafnessDiabetesEpilepsyHeart DiseaseHypertensionKidney DiseaseMotor Neuron DiseaseMultiple SclerosisParkinson's DiseasePhysically DisabledTerminally Ill
Expert:  TaxRobin replied 2 years ago.
If my answer addressed your question please rate below or above (let me know if you have difficulty as I believe the system changed), if you need more information reply below.