How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Your Own Question, Chartered Certified Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 5112
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
Type Your Tax Question Here... is online now

I am a foreign national and 100% of my income is derived from

This answer was rated:

I am a foreign national and 100% of my income is derived from dividends which are paid into my UK bank account by a company overseas, in which I own shares. When the payments are made to me, a 10% tax is paid on the dividend in the resident country (which has a double taxation agreement with the UK). I would like to know whether this income can/should be declared as dividend income and if so, can I claim relief on the 10% already paid at source?
Thank you for your question..You should declare this income by completing supplementary pages SA106-Foreign.You should also complete the section Foreign tax deducted.You claim foreign tax credit relief against foreign tax suffered on this income in resident country (look at Page FN6 of SA106-notes.You can download/view SA106 and the notes that accompany this section here I hope this is helpful and answers your question.If you have any other questions, please ask me before you rate my service – I’ll be happy to respond
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your quick response. Yes I do have a couple of questions which I should have included initially. As this is dividend income, will it be taxed at the UK tax rates for dividends or will it be taxed at the normal income tax rates? In addition, what will my national insurance band be if the gross amount was £76,803 (before the Tax was deducted overseas)?Thanks in Advance!
Thank you for your question...
Dividend income will be taxed at UK tax rates for dividends and not at normal income tax rates.
Dividend rates at
Basic rate payers - 10%
Higher rate payers - 32.5% (any amount over the basic rate threshold of £31,785 after personal allowances)
There is no national insurance payable on investment income.. NI is payable on earned income only.
I hope this is helpful.
I will appreciate if you would kindly rate my service/accept the service I have provided before you leave the site, to ensure I get credited for it by Just Answer. and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
I thank you for accepting my answer.
Your reward of a generous bonus is greatly appreciated.
Best wishes