How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TaxRobin Your Own Question
TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 17626
Experience:  International tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TaxRobin is online now

I've just retired and live in the Philippines, prior to

This answer was rated:

Hi. I've just retired and live in the Philippines, prior to that I worked in Singapore for 12 years and paid tax directly in Singapore under the dual taxation agreement with the UK. I had a letter from HRMC confirming I was exempt from UK tax. My question is this. I have accumulated savings from my salary whilst in Singapore and still have my Singapore bank account, I'd like to understand if the savings would be subject to UK tax.
HelloIf you’re not UK resident, you won’t have to pay UK tax on your foreign income. Foreign income includes interest in a foreign account.If you’re UK resident, you’ll normally pay tax on your foreign income. You most likely had received a certificate of residence, which allowed you to avoid being taxed twice on your foreign income, eg dividends, interest or profits.If you have retired in the Philippines and are not a UK resident you are not taxed in the UK on your savings interest.
If my answer addressed your question please rate below or above (let me know if you have difficulty as I believe the system changed).
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** be okay then as I've been non resident for 14 years. Should I declare the savings on a UK tax return presuming I need to complete one now I'm in the Philippines that has no dual taxation agreement with the UK.
If you were a UK resident and had to file a UK return then interest earned while a resident, yes, declare that amount.If you have remained a nonresident then you should not need to complete a UK return unless you have UK sourced income to declare.
TaxRobin and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. It’s been a pleasure working with you and I hope to assist you again soon!