How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4952
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

I am self employed but work construction company. I have

Customer Question

I am self employed but work for a construction company. I have no contract and did not receive any pay slips. for the first two years my employer paid my tax and I paid my NI. Without me knowing he stopped paying my tax and I have to know file my tax return. HMRC are asking why only a month worth of tax has been paid. who is responsible for picking up the bill?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and happy to help you with your question.
Well regrettably you are. You have received income which has not been taxed at source so when you self assess HMRC will advise you what tax and NI is due for payment by 31 January 2016. It is as simple as that.
You can advise HMRC of the position. I must say that I find the situation quite odd as an employer must operate PAYE tax, particularly with CIS so common in your industry. It is not really for you to explain why tax has not been deducted, but you had better do so or HMRC will whiter away for months on end as a terrier worries a rat over this effectively unimportant point which is outside your control. If your employer does not need to operate CIS in your case he need not deduct tax. It does appear that he has little knowledge of what he is actually supposed to be doing.
I am sorry that my reply is a bit of a curate's egg, but where these situations arise unscrambling the matter is often a bit of a palaver. HMRC will, regrettably, adopt the attitude that you have had the income gross so why can't you pay the tax!