How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4955
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

I just registered a UK company and do not have a VAT number

This answer was rated:

Hi. I just registered a UK company and do not have a VAT number yet. I need to invoice a UE company which is VAT registered. How should I proceed? Should I wait first to get a VAT number or I can already invoice. Who pays the VAT?
Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question. This is a reverse charge situation where you charge the customer VAT and immediately reclaim the VAT thus effectively making it a zero rated export. Wait until you get your VAT number and then invoice your customer including their VAT number (or equivalent) on your invoice. On receipt of payment debit cash/bank, debit VAT credit sales credit VAT. There is now no VAT to settle in the next quarterly return. For sales out with the EU you don't need to go through this palaver, they are simply exports and you invoice including VAT, but at 0%. I do hope that my reply has been of assistance.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Tks for the reply. The customer fiscal year ends Dec 31. They would like me to invoice now to register the sale in FY 2015. I don't think I can get the VAT number so soon. Does it make a difference?.
Send a pro forma invoice and when you get your VAT number send a formal VAT invoice dated before their year end would be my suggestion.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you very much
Please be so kind as to rate me before you leave the Just Answer site.
bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for your support.
I should have mentioned that you will also have to submit an EU Sales List. HMRC will send you one to complete which you only have to submit if you actually have EU sales. A company with which I am associated made one EU sale in the early 80s, yet every month HMRC send a sales list to complete, sigh!