How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15980
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

I purchased my home in 1997 for £80,000, my mortgage was paid

This answer was rated:

I purchased my home in 1997 for £80,000, my mortgage was paid off in approx 2002.
I divorced in 2010 and re mortgaged the house ( the house was in my name only) to pay off my ex wife so I could remain in the house, It was valued at £200,000 so I borrowed £100,000, I moved out in 2011 and rented the house out.
I'm now selling the house for £185,000, do I base my capital gains on my outlay of £180,000? or the original purchase price?
Many thanks
The cost for CGT purposes will be £80,000. You simply used the property as security to enable you to borrow £100,000 to finance a cash settlement payment to your ex-wife. She had no equity in the property, you owned it 100% so you could not buy her out as she had nothing to sell.
I hope this clarifies your situation but let me know if you have any further questions.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
thank you for your answer. so to clarify, I've got to declare I've made a profit of £105k?
That's correct but you will get relief from CGT for the period that you lived in the property and for a maximum of the last 18 months of ownership if you were not living there for any part of that period. Take a look at HS283 for more information on the main home and CGT here:
TonyTax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Appreciate the advice, Thanks again.