How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15980
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

I moved to the UK with my wife in March 2013 purchasing a house.

This answer was rated:

I moved to the UK with my wife in March 2013 purchasing a house. I work as an expat, and thus spend minimal days in the UK in any one year. My income is not paid into a UK bank account, but I do transfer money to the UK on a monthly basis.
Please advise my tax status
Hi. Can you tell me exactly when you went to work abroad please.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I moved away from UK in 1965 and have only returned in 2013
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I have never worked in the uk
Thanks. So long as you complete at least one full tax year (6 April to 5 April) as a non-UK resident, then you should not have to pay UK tax on your foreign earnings. You can repatriate money to the UK without jeoaprdising that. Many people do as they have bills to pay in the UK such as a mortgage. It may be that you never re-established UK tax residence in 2013. The criteria for being treated as non-UK resdident can be found in RDR3 here: There is a summary of the rules here: A flowchart which you may find useful can be found here: I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** go through the documents and do the calculations. If I have further questions I will forward to you
TonyTax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you