How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4949
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

I am 61 yrs old and have been an Australian citizen

This answer was rated:

I am 61 yrs old and have been an Australian citizen for 11 yrs, originally from the UK. I have transferred my UK pension to a QROPS. I am planning to retire in the next few weeks and to arrange an income stream account with my super fund. Do I have to pay UK tax on the UK component of the income stream?
Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question. It is normal for pensions to be taxed in their country of origin so you would be taxed in the UK on the relevant component of the scheme. There is a Double Taxation Treaty between the UK and Australia which precludes the same income stream from being taxed in both jurisdictions. This is achieved by means of tax credits, the tax paid in one country being allowed as a tax credit against the liability in the other. The Treaty does not, however, protect you from differences in rates of taxation. If you are an EEA citizen ie holding dual nationality, then as far as UK tax is concerned you are entitled to a personal allowance, currently 10.6K, to offset this pension income. I do hope that my reply has been of assistance.
bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for your support.
I note that Oz recognizes dual nationality unlike, for example, Germany.