How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15979
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

I have a buy to let furnished property. In the year 2014/15

This answer was rated:

I have a buy to let furnished property. In the year 2014/15 I replaced the built in kitchen in the property as also the appliances - this cost me £6485 including the installation costs. Can I claim for this amount against the rental income I received in that year?
I'll take a look at this and get back to you in a bit.
Hi again. Assuming the property is let on a fully furnished basis and given that the "replacement cost" option was withdrawn with effect from 6 April 2013 for free standing white goods, you can claim the 10% wear and tear allowance. If you have replaced integral features, you can claim the cost of those as a repair. HMRC may query the cost of major structural work and say it is a capital cost and not deductible from rental income. Take a look at the information in each of the links below for an idea of what you can claim in 2014/15 and what HMRC's definitions of a fully furnished property, white goods and integral features are: I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.
TonyTax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you