How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4970
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

If I personally pay fines attracted by a company of which I

This answer was rated:

If I personally pay fines attracted by a company of which I am a director for late filing, are these deductable from my personal tax?
Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and happy to help you with your question.
Sorry, they are not. Here is the advice from V G Woodhouse and Co, Chartered Certified Accountants:
'Penalties are not a tax allowable expense in your accounts. For tax purposes they are treated as a fine, not for trade purposes, they should be included in the figures as Statutory Penalties and adjusted out in the tax computation as penalties not tax deductible.'
I am so sorry to have to rain on your parade.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Is that true even if they're paid by me on behalf of a company, I note that they are deductible for employers when paid on behalf of an employee
Well, you can recover them from the company, that is perfectly proper. The company cannot use them to reduce their Corporation Tax (CT) exposure. As it is the company's responsibility to file on time it is the company which is liable to the penalty. This is not a situation where the employer (the company) is paying on behalf of the employee (you, directors being employees per se). It is merely a reimbursement to an employee of expenditure made on behalf of the company, a perfectly normal commercial procedure which happens every day all over the country.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi, the company for which I paid the fines has now been dissolved, so I can't claim it back. My question is, can I apply the fine that I personally paid (I was a director of the company) on behalf of the company (which was the entity owing the fine) as an expense to my personal tax return. I.e. can I reduce the my income for the purposes of self assessment by the amount I paid on behalf of the company? Does that make sense?ThanksSimon
Well it does make sense Simon. I would be inclined to use it to reduce any emoluments paid by the company to you in your declaration on self assessment.
Please be so kind as to rate me before you leave the Just Answer site.
bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Peter, I submitted a rating. Better just check you received payment as I'm not sure if it's sitting in an escrow of some sort.Kind regards,Simon
Thank you for your support Simon; it's all there!