How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15979
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

We live in a house with a self-contained furnished flat, although

This answer was rated:

We live in a house with a self-contained furnished flat, although the flat has interconnecting staircase, we typically leave it locked although both parties have keys in case of emergency, the flat has own entrance. The tenant does not pay council tax, utilities and broadband as the rent is deemed as all-inclusive and we pay all these directly.
How do I treat the income and what allowable expenses can I off-set, I presume i can still discount for wear and tear but not sure how to treat my mortgage interest, utilities, council tax - can I off set the whole or part and how do I calculate an appropriate proportion.
Flat is 1 bed which in effect leaves us with a 2 bed maisonette above.
Hi. When did the letting start?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I am looking at doing my self assessment for year ending April 2015.
The flat was rented out from Jan 2012 through to January 2015.
Thanks. Since the property was let in 2012 how have you accounted for expenses to date? Did you claim wear and tear in earlier years or replacement costs?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
wear and tear. It was more the other expenses I could claim I was concerned with.
Thanks. Once you have chosen a method (wear and tear or replacement cost which wasn't available for 2013/14 or 2014/15 in any event) for a property, you are stuck with it. I would claim a proportion of the utilities costs, mortgage interest, countil tax, insurance, maintenance and repairs to common areas including outside but not to your exclusive area etc based on floor space. The broadband cost is a lttle more difficult to apportion and I'd be inclined to claim a notional sum. Takae a look here for the types of expenses you can claim. I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
so appropriate proportions of allowable expenses based on sq ft or useage is allowed, great.
Using the area method would seem to me to be the fairest way of dividing the expenses applicable to both properties to me and its commonly used.
TonyTax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you