How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TaxRobin Your Own Question
TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 17154
Experience:  International tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TaxRobin is online now

I am employed and also work self employed. have recently

This answer was rated:

I am employed and also work self employed. have recently purchased a car on HP having paid a deposit, 46no monthly payments and final baloon payment at the end of the term inclusive of interest. I use the car approx, 10% private, 45% business use for my employment and 45% business for my self employment. My employers pay me circa 11-9p a mile for my business use undertaking their work. Am I able to claim capital allowance and offset interest payments or must I stick to claiming mileage allowance, thanks
HelloThe 45% used for business independent of your employment is allowed for a claim of capital allowance. You must stick to mileage for the employee percentage.If you use cash basis accounting and purchase the car for business , claim this as a capital allowance as long as you’re not using simplified expenses for the business use too.Make certain you split the percentages correctly when claiming for the different uses.After you view my response, please post below if you need more information or if you need no further clarification a positive rating is appreciated.I know rating takes an additional step and I truly appreciate it when you take the extra time!
TaxRobin and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Just one more thing regarding the interest on the Hire Purchase, this is excluded from the capital cost of purchase but can be claimed as a business cost?
It is equivalent to ‘interest’ on the finance provided.Interest payable under hire purchase agreements is deductible where the asset is used for business purposes.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
many thanks
You are most welcome.