How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 14195
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Sam is online now

This question is related to UK PAYE, I am an employee,

This answer was rated:

This question is related to UK PAYE, I am an employee, and have incurred business expenses in the tax year totaling £5400. The expenses are those which the HMRC consider allowable expenses e.g. subsistence costs whilst traveling for work. All these business expenses were fully reimbursed by the company directly to my bank account, at a later date in the tax year.
My question is, can this be added to my Self-Assessment tax return in the Employment Expenses section? And what is the implication if this is done.
Hi Thanks for your question - I am Sam and I am one of the Uk tax experts (ex HMRC and now run my own accountancy business) I am afraid you cannot have the claim of these costs twice, the claim from HMRc would be merely to ensure you had no out of pocket expenses - by allowing you to claim expenses incurred in the performance of your duties - but if your employer has fully reimbursed you and has paid these to you without any deduction of tax ( and has not included the payment of these to you on form P11d expenses and benefits) then there is no amount left to claim. let me know if you require any further assistance Thanks Sam
Sam and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you