How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4808
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

The southampton council are changing my council band from band

Customer Question

the southampton council are changing my council band from band b to band c. My property is a small 2 bedroom terrace. no central heating no garage.ground floor is all open plan . lounge, kitchen. and small.this will mean an increase of over £50 a month. the house was built in the 1980,s. bought the house n 1997 for £56.000. I can not find the value in 1991. what can I do about this?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  bigduckontax replied 2 years ago.
Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question. You should write to the Valuation Office Agency (VOA), a part of HMRC staffed by Chartered Surveyors, asking for your banding to be adjusted. The VOA's main function is the banding of dwellings for Cuncil Tax and assessing ratesble values for business rates. I helped a friend some years ago when her residence was in what appeared to be a to higher band and the District Valuer, as the VOA was called then, reduced it almost by return of post. Write a letter explaining the situation and the VOA will almost certainly be of assistance. Here is the address of the relevant office: Overline HouseCentral StationBlechynden TerraceSouthamptonSO15 1GW Telephone: 03000 501501 I do hope that I have shown you a way forward with your problem