How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 7544
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Sam is online now

My client who is domiciled in the UK realised a capital gain

Customer Question

My client who is domiciled in the UK realised a capital gain on the sale of a family property in Sudan during 2014-15 but could not repatriate the proceeds officially under the country's exchange control laws.
He has however been able to convert it in the GBP in the black market and is able to get it across through relatives when they travel to the UK.
What the UK tax position and what are the reliefs available to him on the gain?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question...Please clarify for me ..when you say sale of a family property, was the property your client's main residence before he moved to the UK or family property as in extended family home? If own main residence, how long did your client live in it before moving to the UK?Many thanks