How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 14155
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Sam is online now

I am self employed and owe the tax man about £7000 mostly

Customer Question

hi, I am self employed and owe the tax man about £7000 mostly fines for not completing tax returns in the past, I was on a payment plan to clear this but unfortunately I missed a couple of payments and also didn't pay last years tax when it was due. they have now cancelled the plan I was on and are threatening to send bailiffs to collect the full amount unless I pay it all now, which is impossible. I don't own any assets and rent my house, can I expect a visit at my house by bailiffs? many thanks mick.
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Sam replied 2 years ago.
Hi Mick Thanks for your question and I am sorry to hear you are having such a difficult time - Yes bailiffs (or the compliance review team) will contact you but will clearly see that you have no assets - so I would at this stage continue to make what had been the previously agreed payments as this at least shows you are trying to continue to clear the debt .In the meantime I would write to HMRC and acknowledge that you do accept that you missed a couple of payments but that you wish to find a way to pay off what you owe, but this will need to be via a payment plan (and send this special delivery so it has to be signed for and the letter can be tracked) Give the reasons why the two payments have been missed and advise in the letter you will continue to make payments (and perhaps send an initial payment to tie in with this) If you can also make any additional payments over and above what had been agreed then do this also. Then when it goes to court - HMRC will be taken to task as1) You have tried to remain complying with payments2) you have tried to renegotiate a satisfactory way to proceed3) you have continued to make payments Let me know if I can assist further ThanksSam