How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15977
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

I have been contacted by the HMRC regarding a self assessment

Customer Question

I have been contacted by the HMRC regarding a self assessment i have 3 incomes from Pensions and Employment Support Allowance , Total £ 7,907.35 And at present i havn t paid any tax on this income, the letter mentions completing a Self Assesment Form by April 2016 , the letter also talks about " PENALTIES "
I have the letter and the appropiate P.60 documents
Is there any advice you can give.
Regards ***** ***** Knowles
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  TonyTax replied 2 years ago.
Hi. Can you tell me what the letter says in a little more detail please. Is the tax return HMRC want you to complete a tax return for the year ended 5 April 2015? Is the figure of £7,907.35 the income you received from the sources mentioned the total for the 2014/15 tax year? Are the pensions regular monthly payment pensions as opposed to ones you have cashed in? Did you have any other income in the 2014/15 tax year?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi , The letter appears to be a long standard letter ,it refers to a self assessment and that i will get a UTR number to go with the I.D. number which is in the letter ,they do say that they will send another form to be completed regarding submitting detail on income

Expert:  TonyTax replied 2 years ago.
You haven't told me if you had any other income in 2014/15 other than your pensions and whether the figures you gave me were for the whole tax year. Were you employed or self-employed in the year ended 5 April 2015. Right now, I cannot see why HMRC would need you to complete a tax return for 2014/15. Have you recently become self-employed and registered for self-assessment?
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

Hi Tony Tax , The income i have declared is 100 % correct and can be verified by P.60 , I am long term sick due to mental and physical health , i do receive with my partner rental income from our property which is rented by a family member , this is £ 600.00p p.c.m.i.e. £ 7,200p perhaps it s this element they are looking at ! the property was first let on 20 /02 / 2014

Expert:  TonyTax replied 2 years ago.
It will be the rent that they are looking at. HMRC have access to information for rented property through various databases. You and your partner will need to make a disclosure to HMRC. You can use the Let Property Campaign to do that which should lead to you being charged a lower penalty that might otherwise be the case. In any event, you will need to reply to the HMRC letter but if I were you, I'd contact the Let Property Campaign first. As the property was first let in 2013/14, there are only two tax years involved and it may not be worth the bother of filling in the Let Property Campaign online forms. Given that your income is low and the property was first let so late in 2013/14, you may not have a tax liability for that year. Take a look here for information on the types of expenses you can claim against rental income and here for additional information. As you are not married to your partner, you can split the rent in whatever proportions you like for tax purposes. I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.
Expert:  TonyTax replied 2 years ago.
Hi, I'm just checking in to find out if you need further advice or clarification.