How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15977
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

My ex wife & I purchased a retail business 26 years

This answer was rated:

My ex wife & I purchased a retail business 26 years ago.
Whilst it continues to trade at a profit that has declined in recent years and I anticipate selling at a capital loss when I retire.
We are unincorporated so trading profits are assessable to income tax.
Would the capital loss anticipated on the sale of the business be set off against trading profits?
Hi. I'm afraid that you won't be able to relieve any capital loss you might incur from the sale of your business against income. If your business was a limited company and its shares became of negligible value, you might be able to lodge a successful claim for loss relief against income but that doesn't apply to unincorporated businesses I'm afraid. You will only be able to use the capital loss against capital gains. If you made a gain from the sale of the unincorporated business, it would be liable to Capital Gains Tax, not Income Tax. I hope this clarifies things for you but let me know if you have any further questions.
TonyTax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you