How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4946
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

Personal tax allowance.,I would like to know if I

This answer was rated:

Personal tax allowance.Hello,I would like to know if I can transfer my personal tax allowance to my husband.For 2015/2016, I do not have any income, and my husband's tax rate bracket is 45%, and do not have any personal tax allowance.Thank you.
Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question.
Yes you can transfer 10% of your personal allowance, GBP 1060, from the 15/16 tax year et seq. Indeed my wife has done it for me! You can find details here:
It is, in my experience, a long and laborious process and HMRC singularly failed to advise any changes in tax code numbers. It was only when my pension payer notified me of a change I could verify that a correct new coding had been issued. There is no indication whether this will follow on to the next tax year automatically or you will have to go through the same palaver again!
It will save your husband a tad under 480 quid a year, better than a poke in the eye with a sharp stick!
I do hope that my reply has been of assistance.
bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for your support.