How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Your Own Question, Chartered Certified Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 5112
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
Type Your Tax Question Here... is online now

My wife pays tax on dividends of about 50k and fills in a self

This answer was rated:

My wife pays tax on dividends of about 50k and fills in a self assessment for each year. In 2014/15 she had part time work and was paid as a freelancer (i.e. they did not pay tax or NI for her).
She earn about 5k, how should she record this on her tax return.
Thank you for your question.If her part-time work as a freelancer is going to be recurring every year, then she should register for self assessment as self employed. She would in this case have to file supplementary pages SA103s-self employed(short) and report the income, expenses and profit on SA103s.You say she already fills self assessment tax return every year.If the earnings were one-off, then you can report these within the main tax return under Other UK income not included on supplementary pages Boxes 16 and 17. I hope this is helpful and answers your question.If you have any other questions, please ask me before you rate my service – I’ll be happy to respond.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
She has and will be working on a regular basis for this company.
I am trying to fill the on line return, when I select self employed it asks for the name of her business which she does not have as it has not been that organised.
Thank you for your reply.You can put her own name as business name as she is trading in her own name.I have many clients who use their own name as business name.I hope this is helpful.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The on line return is asking about her books or account being made up. Is she expected to register a business to account for this. It seems a bit excessive.
Thank you for your reply.
I suggest you input in box 7 (date your books or accounts are made up to) 05/04/2015.
Tick box 8 (cash basis accounting).
I hope this is helpful. and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you so much, that is brilliant. I have been putting off doing this as it was more complicated this year.
I thank you for accepting my answer.
Best wishes.