How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15975
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

My partner and myself jointly own 3 rental properties.

This answer was rated:

My partner and myself jointly own 3 rental properties. The income is received into a joint account and we both declare 50% of the income less expenses on our self assessment form. My partner will be a 40% tax payer this tax year. Is it possible for me to declare 100% of the income less expenses on my self assessment, thereby only having to pay 20% tax on the profit. If so do we have to fill out a special form or does the income just have to go into my bank account?
Many thanks
Hi. As you appear not to be married or in a civil partnership, then you and your partner can split the income as you like for tax purposes regardless of the ownership proportions. Confirmation of that can be found here. It would be sensible to have the income go into the account of the individual who will be disclosing it in the proportions that you intend to split it. There are no special forms to complete. Just keep a record of the split for each tax year. I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Can you change the split from year to year?
Yes, you can.
TonyTax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you