How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Your Own Question, Chartered Certified Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 5115
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
Type Your Tax Question Here... is online now

Good morning My daughter has worked from home in the UK

Customer Question

Good morning
My daughter has worked from home in the UK for over two years, self-employed. She has a bedroom converted into a studio where she spends many hours.
She didn't pay tax 2013-2014, but 2014-2015 she will.
I always complete her tax return online, but am at a loss as to what to claim for her home/office. Gov UK website is not very clear and somewhat vague.
Can you help please?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your question..There is no easy answer to this..I work from home as an accountant and I claim £365 a year as I spend many a hours in my home office.You could consider this or use one of the flat rate claims without being challenged by HMRC up to a maximum of £26 pm (£312 pa).More information on this can be found here - look under Flat rate claim for business use of home - self employed addition to above, you could claim for business use on telephone/broadband expenditure. I hope this is helpful and answers your question.If you have any other questions, please ask me before you rate my service – I’ll be happy to respond.