How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 14195
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Sam is online now

Me and my sister and brother have passed back our rights

This answer was rated:

Hi. Me and my sister and brother have passed back our rights to our parents house as my mum wanted some equity. The house has increased by 20;000 pounds since my father passed away. I know we have to pay capita l gains tax but not sure how to do this. Regards justine
Hi Justine
Thanks for your question - I am Sam and I am one of the UK tax experts here on Just Answer.
Can you advise whether the total gain is £20,000 and does this covering the period from when the property share was placed into you and your siblings name and the current value. So did your fathers share pass to you three children?
I can then advise further
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes we were on my father's will . Mu dad died four years ago. My mum wanted some equity so we had to sign everything back to her. So we released all of our rights to the property. Yes The house has increased in value of 20000 pounds .so I believe we are liable for capital gains tax
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
On my fathers will . Me my sister and brother shared half the house with my father. Because of this we had to release our share over to my mum cos she wanted some equity. My father died four years ago and the house has increased in value by 20000
Thanks for your response
As there are three of this this equates to a gain of £6666.66 each and as the annual exemption allowance for this tax year is £11,100 then you are all covered by this exemption with NIL capital gains to pay and nothing to declare to HMRC as below the annual exemption limit for the year.
(And if £20,000 was the total gain - then half of this would be attributable to you three siblings - which again keeps you very much below the annual exemption allowance (so £333.33 gain each)
Let me know if I can assist further
Sam and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Many thanks for explaining.
You are very welcome