How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4948
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

My son has a visitors visa and now applying residence

This answer was rated:

My son has a visitors visa and now applying for permanent residence in Canada. He left for Canada September 2014. He is now completing a UK tax return and needs to know if he covers just for April to September 2014 before he left the UK or does he need to include his earnings in Canada from September to April 2015. He is not sure what form he should complete and the best way of informing the Tax office that he is in Canada and is not earning any money in the UK.
Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question. When he left for Canada in September 2014 did he complete a Form P85 and send it to HMRC? If he did not, which from the tenor of your question appears to be the case, he should do so immediately. Fortunately the form is available on the web and can be filed on line. On receipt HMRC will classify him as non resident for the 15/16 tax year and furthermore split the leaving year into two portions, one resident and one non resident. The P85 makes provision for any UK tax overpaid to be refunded. Once he has filed the P85 then only the UK income earned up to September 2014 needs to be declared. Canadian income post September 2014 will be a matter for the Canada Revenue Agency thereafter. I do hope that you find my reply of assistance.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
My son has just pointed out, and I forgot to include, that he is self employed. Does this make a difference?
Not in the slightest, Ann. He will still be subject to what is known as the split year treatment. When he eventually returns to the UK he should advise HMRC and the reverse procedure will apply with a split year, one portion non resident and the other resident. By the way there is no time limit to the submission of a Form P85.
bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Tank you for your support.