How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 14154
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Sam is online now

Re my question regarding my son in Canada, he is self

Customer Question

Re my question regarding my son in Canada, he is self employed does the same apply?
Submitted: 2 years ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Sam replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your question - perhaps I can help
I note that your son left the UK Sept 2014 -
May I ask did he leave the UK initially to take up permanent life and work in Canada or has this just evolved
How often between Sept 2014 and now has he returned to the UK - and how long for and dates
Was this job abroad just one contract - if so how long initially was it for and has this been extended or changed since
Where was he paid from for this work In Canada (from the UK or in Canada)
How many ties does he have in the Uk - such as family (spouse and or children) or property -
If he has property in the UK was this let out - and was the income declared to HMRC
Was this a continuing self employment which began long before he left the UK and does this UK business still generate UK income
I can the fully advise what sections of the self assessment need filling and and for what period of time
Expert:  Sam replied 2 years ago.
Are you able to provider the information asked for or would you like me to give you a general idea of whether any other income would need declaring