How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 14166
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Sam is online now

I am a non resident and sold a property in March 2015. I assume

This answer was rated:

I am a non resident and sold a property in March 2015. I assume I am not liable to CGT? Do I have to report this sale on my Tax return, if so how?
Hi Thanks for your question May I ask when you ceased to be a resident in the UK and have HMRC confirmed each year that you are indeed not resident each year since that date. ThanksSam
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
In 1996, yes I am confirmed non resident for almost 20 years
Hi Thanks for your response and the additional information Then as this sale took place before 06/04/2015 - then you neither have a capital gain consideration in the UK arising nor the need to report this sale to HMRC Your only consideration will be the gain and reporting to the tax authorities in your country of residence. Let me know if I can assist further ThanksSam
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** confirm, in answer to the question in section 7 Capital Gains Summary, did I dispose of any assets including property, I can tick NO ?
HiApologies for the delay - its busy on here this morning. Usually this would constitute a new question and as per Just Answer policy should be listed as such, but as this appears to be your first time on Just Answer, and its a simple question - I have on this occasion answered Yes you can as this will not create a UK capital gain Thanks Do let me know fi I can assist further but it would be appreciated if you could rate me (or click accept) to repreent the level of service I have provided today Sam
Sam and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you