How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 14152
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Sam is online now

TAX RETURN & LUMP SUM FROM WILL I received £20k from my mother's

This answer was rated:

I received £20k from my mother's Will in 2014-15 Tax Year. Does this need to be declared on my Tax Return? Can I still submit my return online as I usually do as the the online Return states:
You cannot use this service if in the tax year ending 5 April 2015 you received:
multiple chargeable events
Help about: Multiple chargeable events - opens in a new window
trust, settlement or estate income - not including cash lump sums or transferred assets, also known as capital distributions, received under a will
Thanks for your question - I am Sam and I am one of the UK tax experts here on Just Answer.
Sorry to hear of the loss of your mother - my condolence
No- not need to declare this income unless you have earned any income from it (such as interest from bank or building society and then its just the interest you declare)
So you can proceed with submitting your return online - let me know if I can assist any further with this matter
Sam and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you