How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15979
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

If I FHL weeks within last year of ownership before

This answer was rated:

If I FHL for 12 weeks within last year of ownership before selling a property which has been owned & my main residence for 33months, but do not qualify for FHL allowance due to short letting period, how do I claim for extra expenses eg. insurance, cleaner wear gas electricity wear& tear etc?
Hi. You can only claim expenses against rental income if the property was let or was available to let after having been let. If the letting didn't qualify as a FHL, then you disclose the income as regular rental income and set the expenses against that. I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Where can I find what expenses can claim against very short term rental income ? If the total of rental income for the year is under £2500,after allowable expenses, do i haveto declare it on tax return?
Look here. If you have had a tax return, you need to disclose all your income. There is no £2,500 exemption on rental income.
TonyTax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you