How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TaxRobin Your Own Question
TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 17624
Experience:  International tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TaxRobin is online now

I became non resident in uk 6.4.2015. i sold some shares am

This answer was rated:

i became non resident in uk 6.4.2015. i sold some shares am i right that i do nt need to declare them in the uk
HelloWhile it is true that you have to pay tax on gains you make on residential property in the UK even if you’re non-resident for tax purposes. You don’t pay Capital Gains Tax on other UK assets, eg shares in UK companies, unless you return to the UK within 5 years of leaving.You stayed UK resident if you were abroad less than a full tax year (6 April to 5 April the following year). If you sold after you became nonresident you would not have to declare the shares sold. If you sold prior to nonresident status, yes, you have to declare and pat if you had a gain.You have to actively click on a rating and click submit. Smiley Faces or Stars.When you actively click on a rating and click submit, that lets Just Answer know you were assisted and credits me for the time.
TaxRobin and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Oops wrong date it was 6.4.2014 not 2015. Same answer. Although main residence was sold in 14-15 this is not subject to uk tax as before 6 April 2015. (Ppr applies for most then letting relief). You stated uk property does need to be declared. Is that on disposals after 6 April.
Even if you are a non resident, if real property in the UK is sold you must report if sold after 5 April 2015.That is when the rules changed. Nonresidents that sold before that date were not subject to Capital Gains Tax.So yes, disposals after 5 April 2015 must be reported.