How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4956
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

I loaned money to a Company as an agent . Because

This answer was rated:

I loaned money to a Company as an agent for another.
Because I was an individual on the contract the Borrower Company intends to withhold tax on the interest, making payment NET rather than GROSS.
How do I file to claim it back from HMRC (since I was not the Lender)?
Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and happy to be able to help you with your question.
Firstly the Borrower Company are quite correct in withholding tax at the basic rate (20%) on paying interest on the moneys loaned. When you make your annual self assessment tax return you enter the interest received and the tax deducted. The application of your personal allowance will then leave an amount to be repaid by HMRC. This assumes that you have no other sources of income and the interest does not exceed the personal allowance, currently 10.6K.
I do hope that my reply has been of assistance.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hi Kieth,The interest does exceed 10.6K. However if I understand you correctly, I should simply file that I received no interest on my tax return and HMRC will refund me the whole 20% at the end of the tax year?Kind regards,Edmund
Not quite Edmund: you would declare the interest and the tax deducted and HMRC would refund the tax assuming that your overall income was within the personal allowance.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Yes exactly,So I file the tax paid: approximately £60,000
The interest I received: £0 because I was an agent with power of attorney.
And HMRC will return it.Or do I simply stay out of it completely and let the ultimate beneficiary file for the return on their tax return, since it is theirs to collect not mine?
In that case you would have nothing to declare so stay out of it and let the beneficiary file.
bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for your support.