How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4950
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

I am an Indian resident running an IT company in India. I registered

This answer was rated:

I am an Indian resident running an IT company in India. I registered a separate Limited Company in UK on 9th Dec 14. The first order was received in Apr 2015. I was under the impression that the annual returns along with tax payments are to be done in 21 months. I received a notice yesterday which the Companies House had issued on 14th Jan that the deadline for annual return filling was 6th Jan and they give me 14 more days to do so.
The Indian company I have has a financial year starting from 1st Apr to 31st Mar. I want the UK company to have same financial year. I have changed this for a company I have in US to coincide with the Indian financial year so that worldwide revenue can be consolidated while reporting. I am registered for VAT too and am filling the returns on time
Business activity actually started only in Apr14. So can 2 returns be filled to handle this
1) From Dec 14 to Mar 15
2) Apr 15 to Mar 16
If yes how do we convey this to companies house. Can it be done online. I found another post from companies house this morning. They had sent a code to register online which I have done.
Our accountants in India are doing the books so we are kind of ready. Can we request companies house to give us just 1 more week. If yes is that through an email
Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and pleased to be able to help you with your question. Do not panic, this is the Annual Return for Companies House and merely covers matters like details of directors, secretaries, shareholders, registered office of the company and other matters. It is an on line form and self explanatory. No accounts or supporting documentation are required and a fee of GBP 13 is payable on submission. You have to make this return annually. I do hope that I have been able to set your mind at rest on this matter.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks. That's relieving
So we can file the annual return without changing the 9th Dec date which the system shows now. Later we want to select a different accounting period to match with our companies Globally. We want to make it 31st Mar rather than 31st Dec as appearing now. Please confirm.Regards,
Arun Satija
There is no requirement Arun to have the annual return date corresponding with anything else. I run two companies whose annual returns, for historic reasons, have no connection with any other company activity. Much better leave it as it is.
Changing the accounting dates to correspond is perfectly normal practice. It may involve you in extra work and filing though. I recall one company with which I was connected changing its accounting date from 31 December to 30 June which was, in fact, much more convenient. The changeover was a heck of a palaver though.
Please be so kind as to rate me before you leave the Just Answer site.
bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for your support.