How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Your Own Question, Chartered Certified Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 5113
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
Type Your Tax Question Here... is online now

I am a basic rate taxpayer on a pension but have a large number

This answer was rated:

I am a basic rate taxpayer on a pension but have a large number of BG shares. The company is in the process of being taken over by Royal Dutch Shell within the next two weeks. There are three options but the Default Consideration is one that for each share a BG investor holds, he/she will receive 383 pence in cash and 0.4454 Shell B shares. If one has a large number of BG shares, as I have as a former employee, will the cash element be subject to Capital Gains Tax?
Thank you for your quetionCash element will be subject to CGT.Look at example 7 of HS285. It shows how CGT is calculated on the cash element when consideration is in cash and shares. Look here I hope this is helpful and answers your question.If you have any other questions, please ask me before you rate my service – I’llbe happy to respond. and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Just checking in. How did things turn out?
Many thanks
I thank you for accepting my answer.
Best wishes