How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 14199
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Sam is online now

I am currently a UK self employed sole trader but with

This answer was rated:

Hi, I am currently a UK self employed sole trader but with most of my income coming from other UK full time employment. Most of my freelance self employed work is as a conference host / speaker. Can I claim back the cost of clothing bought specifically to present at conferences e.g. suits and business shirts? Thanks.
Thanks for your question - I am Sam and I am one of the UK tax experts here on Just Answer - and I previously worked for HMRC and now have my own accountancy business
No clothes are only allowable of they are a uniform (which sadly suits cannot be considered as uniform) or for health and safety wear.
I am not able to claim my suits - as like you I often have the need to dress more professionally than other times - and I only wear my suits for formal occasions - but am also not able to claim the costs of them back (also a self employed sole trader)
Sorry the answer is not more favourable
HMRC link to verify
Let me know if I can assist further with this
Sam and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for your help Sam, very good to know!