How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TonyTax Your Own Question
TonyTax, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15977
Experience:  Inc Tax, CGT, Corp Tax, IHT, VAT.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TonyTax is online now

I am on Tier-1 Entrepreneur immigrant visa, and started business

This answer was rated:

I am on Tier-1 Entrepreneur immigrant visa, and started business in the UK, I didn't have any income in the UK so far.
I have transferred money from abroad into UK, the source was my previous employment and it was taxed abroad.
Do I have to pay tax in the UK again for the money I have transferred? should that be declared in the SATR?
Hi. If the money was earned before your arrival in the UK, then it won't be taxable in the UK nor do you need to report it to HMRC in your tax return. As you appear to have started a business in the UK, you will qualify for relief from UK tax on monies brought in to the UK to invest in UK businesses. Take a look here for more information. There is more information on remitting income and gains to the UK here. I hope this helps but let me know if you have any further questions
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Many thanks, ***** *****!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Just to be clear, I have transferred money to my personal account and also to my business account here in UK, and my question is regarding the self assessment tax return which has deadline in 2 days. any change to the answer?
No. You won't pay UK tax on any money you had abroad before your arrival in the UK.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you! have a good night :)
Thanks, ***** ***** My tax reporting season is done two days early so I'm a happy bunny.
TonyTax and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you