How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Your Own Question, Chartered Certified Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 5112
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
Type Your Tax Question Here... is online now

I rent out a property. I carry out some of the repairs and

This answer was rated:

I rent out a property.
I carry out some of the repairs and maintenance myself.
As such I have receipts for the materials for the repairs but not any labour.
Is it acceptable to apply a nominal cost, for my time, to carry out such repairs and maintenance on my self assessment tax return?
If so what would be an acceptable cost?
Thank you for your question...The short answer is NO, I'm afraid.The rationale is that you show actual expenses incurred and not notional expenses.Secondly, even if you were to pay yourself for labour charges, you should declare this income as other taxable income.What you gain in one you lose in another.If this may not be the answer you were looking for, I'm sorry. I hope this is helpful and answers your question.If you have any other questions, please ask me before you rate my service – I’ll be happy to respond.Please only rate my answer if it is acceptable. and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

That's fine, thanks.

I thank you for accepting my answer. best wishes