How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Your Own Question, Chartered Certified Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 5113
Experience:  FCCA - over 35 years experience as a qualified accountant (UK based Practitioner)
Type Your Tax Question Here... is online now

Two partners are in business but there is no partnership

This answer was rated:

Two partners are in business but there is no partnership agreement, one partner has taken drawings in excess of his capital share in the business. How is this reflected in the accounts? How does this affect the other partner?
Thank you for your questionAre you trying to file tax return or preparing accounts in generalMany thanks
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Preparing accounts in general. The partner who has taken the excess drawings has passed away so accounts need to be prepared to dissolve the partnership.
Thank you for your reply.Effectively, his estate owes the partnership the excess of drawings over capital share.If this money is to be written off, it would be absorbed by the remaining partner.You would prepare the final accounts that would reflect the debtor figure within capital account as it would not affect profit and loss account.I hope this is helpful and answers the question.If you have any other questions, please ask mebefore you rate my service – I’ll be happy to respond.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you for your response, that's very helpful. I can't see this being written off as there is a lot of debt to pay off in the business. Now that the partnership is to be dissolved, the other partner would like to wind down the business so am I right to assume redundancy costs etc would be his responsibility as a sole trader?
Thank you for your reply.Redundancy costs would be the responsibility of the business now, i.e. sole trader.I hope this is helpful. and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Great, thanks for your help today.
I thank you for accepting my answer. Best wishes