How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Sam Your Own Question
Sam, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 14166
Experience:  26 HMRC expertise, PAYE, Self Assessment ,Residency, Rental Income, Capital Gains, CIS ask for Sam Tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Sam is online now

I am considering retiring early at age 52. I have worked for

This answer was rated:

I am considering retiring early at age 52. I have worked for 35 years and have paid tax and national insurance conts throughout. My pension after actuarial reduction will be £8500 a year. Am I correct in assuming that (a) under current rules I will pay no income tax and that (b) I will not have to pay any national insurance conts (unless I take unpaid employment again). I live in England.
Thanks for your question
There certainly will be no National Insurance against a pension payment and of your total income for the year remains less then £10600 then there will be no tax either.
And yes this would need to be reviewed should you take up employment or your income position changes again.
Let me know if you require any furtehr assistance
Sam and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks for this. So if I retire in May how will the £10,600 be calculated? My earnings (on which I will pay tax) until I retire in May is £24000 a year. So if I retire in May and my pension is £8500 will I pay any tax from May (when the pension starts)?
Thanks for your furtehr question which really should be listed as a new question as per Just Answer policy, but as this is your first time on Just Answer I shall answer this further question within this same thread
You will be issued with a P45 which will reflect 2/12s of salary (you do not indicate whether there will be any retirement pay) and also tax suffered
You then hand that P45 to the pension provider - they will see that Month 3 onward your level of income is les than the monthly personal allowance and this will then create a tax refund each month of tax already suffered so that
1) You do not suffer tax on the pension payment as its below the monthly threshold and
2) the pension payer can take into account that as each total income position accumulates from the forthcoming months - that any tax suffered in Month 1 and 2 can be refunded to you.
If there is any issue with getting the P45 from your current employer - then ask the pension payer for the P46 (or equivalent as they are no longer used as such) - initially this will enable the pension payer to pay your pension WITHOUT any deduction of tax but until such time HMRC are informed and able to issue the previous pay and tax details to the pension payer - will any refund be possible.
Let me know if you require any further assistance - but it would be appreciated if you could rate the level of service provided (or click accept) as Just Answer can then credit me for my time
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you.
You are very welcome