How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask bigduckontax Your Own Question
bigduckontax, Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 4778
Type Your Tax Question Here...
bigduckontax is online now

My husband and I run a furnished holiday letting business

This answer was rated:

Hello, my husband and I run a furnished holiday letting business as an informal partnership. Where can I see the rules on whether he can be paid for the work he does and how we should split the profits/losses when filling in our tax returns?
Hello, I am Keith, one of the experts on Just Answer, and happy to be able to help you with your question.
No, to an extent this sort of process can be fraught with difficulty and a Tom Tiddler's ground for argument with HMRC over the apportionment of rental income beyond the obvious 50/50 basis.
If you can show that proportionately he does more of the management of the lettings or vice versa then you may be able to use a different split basis, but be prepared for a battle with HMRC on the subject.
It would be better to at least put some sort of written agreement between the pair of you to support your individual positions.
I do hope that my reply has been of assistance.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Hello Keith, thanks for your answer.The first part of my question was based on whether my husband could be paid an additional amount for his maintenance work, as an expense of the business. This would be before we calculate the taxable profits.Sorry, as you say everything in this area seems very unclear!
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Just to add a bit of detail, my husband has no other income whereas I have a permanent job. We have invested very heavily in the business such that its lossmaking at the moment (even before we consider paying him for the work he does). Hope that makes it clearer.
I though that might be the case, that's what husbands are for, sorry for the non PC comment!
Yes, maintenance is indeed allowable against rental income before you strike the ba***** *****able for taxation and the partnership split. Just make sure that you have vouchers to support your position in the event of an inquiry or an investigation by HMRC.
Losses can be carried forward against future profits but not, unfortunately, set, in your case, against other income.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok, thanks Keith, yes I know, those happy days when setting against other income was allowed are long gone. So just to be completely clear, the payment for maintenance can go to my husband even though he is an owner of the business? Sorry to keep checking but I need to make sure there is no ambiguity.
Yes, it is a perfectly valid charge against the business. If you employed a handyman to do it that would be allowable and so is this. Just make sure that you have adequate supporting vouchers.
Please be so kind as to rate me before you leave the Just Answer site.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
ok, many thanks Keith, that's now completely clear. You get my thanks and my thumbs up!
Delighted to have been of assistance.
bigduckontax and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you
Thank you for your support.