How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TaxRobin Your Own Question
TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 17613
Experience:  International tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TaxRobin is online now

I am due to get voluntary redundancy money of approx 46K

This answer was rated:

Hi, i am due to get voluntary redundancy money of approx 46K paid into my bank account around 24th-31st march 2016. Is there a way that i can change that so that it is paid into my account in the new tax year after 6th April?
HelloIn broad terms, a cash compensation payment is “received” for tax purposes on the earlier of the date of actual receipt or the date on which the individual is entitled to require payment.The employer must follow the laws for the reporting and the payment. Your date is set so the employer cannot defer the payment now.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
I will be paid in lieu of notice as we are supposed to give 12 weeks notice, the 24th March is the date i will leave the company but will still be paid (as it's my notice period) until the third week of April, which is in the new tax year. So does your answer still apply?
Yes it does.
TaxRobin and other Tax Specialists are ready to help you