How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask TaxRobin Your Own Question
TaxRobin, Tax Consultant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 17650
Experience:  International tax
Type Your Tax Question Here...
TaxRobin is online now

Continuation on FATCS/US Tax question. I have read that there

This answer was rated:

Continuation on FATCS/US Tax question.
I have read that there are some options of Voluntary Disclosure to the IRS so I can report to them before they contact me. One option is the Streamlined Filing compliance procedure. Is this appropriate in my case and do I need an SSN before being able to do this? I will be contacting the Federal Benefits Unit tomorrow to find out if I ever had an SSN issued but I think it is unlikely and I will have to apply for a new number which could take a long time...
That is what you are going to be doing by filing the 6 years. You are presenting your returns (they just require the past 6 years ) before the IRS is notified by any other agency.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.

But if I cannot do this until I obtain an SSN which be lengthy in time, is there another way to notify them?

I would not advise you to do that. For tax purposes notification is the filing of the required returns.
TaxRobin and 2 other Tax Specialists are ready to help you